Interns, Grants, and Casts – Oh My!

by Erik Ozolins, Professor of Anthropology at Mt. San Jacinto College

After Alton and I talked about doing an exhibit based on the collections in my lab at MSJC, I assumed that nothing would come of it, but after several more conversations, the initial discussions had a definite possibility of being put into action.  I quickly realized that the five or six month exhibit that Alton was talking about would keep the teaching collection out of the hands of the students for much too long, so I decided to write an internal grant through the college. I figured that this project would meet two critical components of MSJC’s mission: student classroom instruction and community outreach.  After the casts would be used in the exhibit, the Anthropology department could use the casts in our classes at the San Jacinto Campus and the San Gorgonio and Temecula Centers, as those collections were much smaller.

During Spring 2015 I wrote the budget request proposal.  I figured we would need about 25 to 30 casts and so I asked for around $8500 – and the proposal was funded in July! This was both exhilarating and terrifying. This meant that I had to actually help put together a museum exhibit, something that I have never done before!

As Alton and I talked over the summer and into the beginning of the Fall semester, we both independently came up with the idea of including students in the project.  At the college we have a course/program called Cooperative Work Experience (which is essentially an occupational internship). Alton and the WSC would be the employer for the students and I would serve as the faculty advisor. The other full time Anthropology professor at MSJC, Pam Ford, and I identified the possible Anthropology majors at the college who might be interested in the project. I sent an email to them all, hoping to get interest from maybe four to five students, and ending up with one or two students joining us on the exhibit journey. Within a couple of days, I had already received interest from about eight students – eventually rising to 14 students expressing interest in the project. In late January, 11 of the students met with Alton, Darla Radford (the Collections Manager at the WSC) and I, and ultimately seven students signed up for the internship.

IMG_4481.JPG

Professor Erik Ozolins discussing the exhibit with prospective interns.

For the last two months the student interns have been researching different hominin species and participating in meetings with us every few weeks to discuss and brainstorm the exhibit. It has been fascinating for me, and I believe for Alton as well, to see what the students come up with. Many of their ideas are progressing in terms of development, and we shall see whether they end up in the finished exhibit. Stay tuned and expect to hear from the students themselves as they participate in the development of this blog as well.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s